St. Rose of Lima Catholic School
In 1889, Father John Kirch, the pastor of St. Rose of Lima Parish, asked the Congregation of the Sisters of Divine Providence in San Antonio, Texas to operate St. Rose School which was built that same year. The first School was a simple frame building under the direction of Sister Mary Pelagie Biegel, with a beginning enrollment of twenty-three pupils, but which increased that school term to fifty.
By 1893 the enrollment had passed the one hundred mark. Around 1895, Santa Rosa, as it originally was called, became a public school, which the Sisters continued to staff. When in 1914 Governor James E. Ferguson appropriated money to aid rural schools, Schulenburg opened its first public school and St. Rose became a parish-sponsored school.