N.C. Clampitt Hardware Co
In 1935, Norman C. Clampitt became an employee of M.C. Close Hardware at 159 Main Street. After working at the store for 18 years, he became a partner, then sole owner 9 years later. In 1973, Clampitt sold the business to his son, Monty Clampitt. To accomodate for the growth, the general part of the store was moved to a larger building in 1982 to 111 Main Street. Today Monty and his wife operate both businesses with the help of their daughter.
The original location was left as an old-fashioned establishment selling housewares, horse tack, camping supplies, gift items, Carhartt and Redwing Boots. The newer store, just 3 doors down, offers your typical hardware,as well as feed, lawn and garden, and lumber and building materials. N.C. Clampitt Hardware became affiliated with Ace Hardware in 1983. Under the new ownership, the business has grown from 1,100sq.ft to 10,000sq.ft. It is the oldest continually operating business, which is also a family business, in Swain County, North Carolina.