Blue Ridge Mountain Electric Membership Corporation
Founded in 1937 by a group of businessmen, BRMEMC was established and continues to operate as a non-profit, member-owned, Rural Electric Cooperative. The founders elected a Board of Directors and made it their goal to bring electricity to this mountain area. In June, 1938 the EMC was incorporated and an agreement was executed naming The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) as the supplier of electricity. Agreements were made with the Rural Electrification Administration to borrow money for construction and the work began.
From that humble beginning the EMC now serves over 40,000 customers and will continue to grow with the community. Many new products and services are now being offered to our member-owners.